Friday 25 May 2018

Invalid certificate being returned for most sites in chrome and edge

As of this morning I could not access most secure web sites using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. Every site came up with a secure certificate warning. Chrome kept telling me my connection wasn't private and there was no way to continue.

A wasted morning removing windows updates and some software I'd just installed didn't resolve the issue.

Only by change I noticed AVG listed as the first in the chain when I inspected the certificate in the browser bar.

I then disabled AVG online shield and everything started working again.

As always although AVG was 'up to date' it wasn't. I was running V16 rather than V18. AVG never warns you when a new major version is available.

I duly updated to V18 and everything continues to work.

No comments: